Maya Angelou blog 1/13/23

 In this reading, Maya Angelou gives us a look into her childhood and what it was like in her family at a young age. There was a prominent theme of respecting your elders in this passage which, I know for me growing up, was always a big emphasis for respect. One theme that I also found interesting was the theme of dirtiness. Maya Angelou speaks about physical uncleanness being connected to her spiritual cleanliness which I found super interesting. The comments on appearance in this passage all relate to how clean or dirty someone looked and they're being judged for that. Angelou's mother made sure that all the kids were clean at all times because, to her, that meant that they were less sinful and cleaner in the eyes of God. Maya seemed to like the idea of law and order so being clean all the time had a lot to do with that urge for her. 

Comments