The Prime of Life/ Simone de Beauvoir

A lot of the focus of this passage is on freedom and women's decisions when it comes to family and

marriage. Throughout this book, she speaks about not wanting a family ( husband and children).

Women were seen as caregivers for their families who stay home which was the opposite of what

Beauvoir wanted for herself which I completely resonate with. I have days where I feel like being a

stay-at-home mom would be amazon but on other days I don't think I would be able to feel like I was

contributing enough to my family by not working and only living for my kids.  Because her relationship

with her family was not good, this leaned her toward her opinion on family life. She did not want to be the

traditional woman that society’s standards wanted, instead, she wanted to be free and make decisions on

her own and for herself. I have divorced parents so when I was reading this, it brought me to the place

where I once considered if I was going to get married or have kids or not due to the fear of failure and

being like that relationship that failed.



Comments