Blackberry Winter / Margaret Mead

 Margaret Mead's Blackberry Winter is a novel about her life story of being a pioneering woman and leading a successful life. She discusses how she grew up and how her grandmother impacted her. She is able to look back at her life through this piece of writing and feel proud and accomplished for the legacy she left behind. Margaret was able to become a mother and also have a career, which is remarkable in today's world. She also learned that the mind is not sex-typed and that we are all gifted and valued in our own ways. In the 70s, being successful at all you wanted in life, specifically being a woman was unusual, and I am impressed by her setting a precedent. A quote I took and digested from this reading was, "And as I had my father's kind of mind- which was also his mother's- I learned that the mind is not sex-typed.". this quote showed how much of a trailblazer she wanted to be for women like her

Comments