From Motherwit / Onnie Lee Logan

In this narrative, we see a story of a midwife. Logan goes on to recount stories about various families that she has seen that are going through labor and welcoming a new child. It takes a very unique and certain person to be able to perform this job. They have to be equipped emotionally, physically, and mentally for anything that could come up during the birth of a child due to it being such a delicate process. the author is a creature of habit and repetition by the way that she explains how she never goes anywhere without her “orange stick or scrub brush” (484).  She's always ready for the task at hand and she has so much experience in this field due to being a midwife being a generational thing in her family. one anecdote that she shared that I found interesting was when she was talking about how she likes to connect the mother and father of the baby before hard labor comes. she states, “, I tell him this it was you and your husband in the beginning and it was fine. it's you and your husband who should be at the beginning at the birth of the baby. quiet and easy talking and loving and happy with one another. you don't need nobody there”(484).  I think this is a beautiful way to introduce a family and get them ready for life before a child. she's showing them and giving them a couple last minutes of togetherness before they introduce a new person into their lives that they need to constantly take care of and be there for even though having a child is a very beautiful thing, it can take away from the togetherness of a couple. I like how she really invests in the wellness of her parents whom she encounters and delivers babies for. In this Motherwhit, Logan displays over and over again the responsibility she has to bring lives into this world and have relationships with the families that she gets to encounter on a daily basis through being a midwife no matter how challenging or rewarding.


Comments

  1. I also noticed how she kept repeating the words "orange stick or scrub brush" which is something that stuck out to me a lot when I was reading. I thought she was a very inspiring person to read about and her passion for what she did in her work. It made the text very interesting to read because like you said she displayed the importance of child birth and how it brings families closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this blog post and I think you did a great job demonstrating what it meant to be a midwife! I think Logan was very responsible and in love with her job because she was able to bring newborns into this world with such grace and she really enjoyed what she did for a living. I think your interpretation of this excerpt shined a lot of light on the fact that she faced a hard and deliberating job that not many have the mental capacity to do. I thought your touch on that really brought this chapter together and we were able to draw connections to how important her job really was. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post and how you talk about how personable the job was for her. It wasn't about doing a job and having something to do with her time, it is about the beauty of life and the passion she has for it. You can tell throughout her reading that she wishes to share what she has learned through all her experiences, since she has had so much time and practice in this field.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment